Saturday, February 4, 2012

"Armed With Teeth"


This piece, "Armed With Teeth" is one of my personal favorites.  Its another piece of work that just kind of happened. 

I picked this board up off the ground from a job site back in 2010, if you look closely you can still see a small "hazard orange" chalk line where someone marked it.  That was an unusable blemish in my opinion so I set the board aside for a while and eventually used it to test some paint spatter techniques.  I tested the white paint spray first and then the red paint...which explains some mixing of the two.  This board was a piece of unusable garbage after the paint dried so I cast it aside......in my head.  

And then something happened. 


I just happened to LOOK at the board in a certain way.  It was positioned as above in the photo.  The far right side of the spatterness, specifically the two sections that protrude from the rest....appeared to me like a pointy nose and pointy chin.  Kind of like a (side profile) witch's features?  I started to see it forming, in my head, so I quickly grabbed a pencil and lined out the nose and chin.  Everything fell into place rather quickly after that. 

These are the original pencil lines.  I drew him with a flapping forked tongue at first.  Then as soon as I took this picture....I realized it was lame. 


I removed the lame flappy forked tongue and added more blood.  !!!BLOOD!!! \m/.  This was achieved by globbing large amounts of red paint (in the desired shape) and allowing it to dry completely.  Next, I would spray a light coat of polyurethane on top.  Once dry, I would repeat the process until satisfied.  I really wanted to bring out more texture.  White dry brushing was used to help with highlights (of textured mouth blood).  Additional red spattering was used to achieve desired positioning. 
This is the end result.  It is.....armed with teeth.
Acrylic paint, pencil, and 14 megatons worth of polyurethane.  The piece remains unframed for now.  It feels more raw like that. 

No comments:

Post a Comment